中国虚拟军事网(VME)- 专注于武装突袭系列虚拟军事游戏

找回密码
 加入VME

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 5659|回复: 20

[新闻] 2012年5月25日,武装突袭3(ARMA3)光照系统展示和新的作者开发日志(翻译完毕)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-5-25 08:23:01 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
原文地址:http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/307-report-in-interview-with-pavel-guglava-lead-artist
翻译:中国虚拟军事网

Wednesday, 23 May 2012 10:06
Written by Jay Crowe

Next up in our 'Report In!' series, a discussion with one of Bohemia Interactive's veteran artists, a selection of new screens, and a fantastic showcase video have been declassified and are ready for immediate analysis!
- 接下来在我们的“形势报告”系列报道中,将会与波西米亚互动的一位资深设计师进行讨论,展示一些解密后的新的游戏截图以及一个非常棒的演示视频,我相信大家已经准备好对这些“情报”进行分析了!

We're often asked to let some of our people talk about what it's like to develop a game at Bohemia Interactive (BI). 'Report In!' gives you a more personal perspective on our team, a more detailed look at the way we go about our work, and fresh information about our ongoing projects.

In the spotlight this week is Pavel 'Gugla' Guglava, who's responsible for the overall colour and lighting settings of Arma 3 (A3), and drives much of the research and graphical advancements of the Real Virtuality (RV) engine. Below, we focus upon some of the fantastic advancements to lighting, taking a look at how these new changes improve the overall 'look and feel' of A3, the underlying gameplay, and how everything fits together with engine optimisations.
- 这周所关注的中心人物是 Pavel 'Gugla' Guglava,他负责ARMA3的整体色调与光照设置,并且为RV引擎的图形显示进步做出了许多贡献。下面,让我们关注有关光照系统的一些非常棒的提升,看一看它们是如何从整体上改变ARMA3的“视觉效果和体验”的。然后,我们还会关注一下游戏底层,看看经过优化的游戏引擎是如何把这一切整合到一起的。

Tell the people a little about yourself. What's your role? How long have you worked with BI? On which projects have you contributed, and what's your favourite Bohemia Interactive game or experience?
- 您可否向大家做个自我介绍?您的职责是什么?您在BI工作多久了?您都参与过哪些项目,你最喜欢的BI游戏或者体验是什么?

Pavel Guglava (Gugla): Hi, my name is Pavel Guglava, nicknamed Gugla. I’m a little over 30 and come from Northern Bohemia. I joined Bohemia Interactive as a 2D graphic designer over 7 years ago, when what was known as 'Game2' was being developed. I was fascinated by the level of detail of the vegetation and models, unparalleled by games of the same period. From that moment, I started contributing to all upcoming projects; from Arma, through Arma 2 (A2), Operation Arrowhead (A2OA) and, most recently, Arma 3.
- 大家好,我是Pavel Guglava,绰号Gugla。我已经30多岁了,来自于波西米亚北方地区。我加入BI并担任2D图形设计师已经有7年多的时间,也就是自大家所知道的“Game2”项目开始以后。在那个时候,我就痴迷于游戏所带来的空前未有的植被与模型细节级别之中,之后我参与了所有后来的项目开发,从ARMA开始,到ARMA2、ARMA2OA,那么现在就是ARMA3了。

My tasks usually relate to the environment and lightning, but I’ve also briefly touched upon the creation of models, such as houses, wrecks and animals. My favourite game from the series is definitely Arma 2, with the amazing Chernarus environment.
- 我的工作通常来说都是与游戏环境和光照系统有关,但是我也短暂的接触过模型建模,比如房屋、残骸以及动物。在这个系列之中我最喜欢的游戏莫过于ARMA2了,那里面有着令人吃惊的Chernarus虚拟环境。

And can you give us a random fact about yourself?
- 您是否能再给我们一些有关于你的“实情”呢?

Gugla: I have not served a compulsory military service. :)
- 我没有服义务兵役。:)

Look & Feel
视觉感受

How did you begin the task of 'improving lighting' in A3? What does it really mean, anyway?
- 您是如何开始开展ARMA3的“光照改进”工作的?那些都意味着什么?

Gugla: The impulse to improve lighting in the RV engine has been present during all my years in BI. Thanks to some key changes in HDR (High Dynamic Range), we’ve been able to finish most of our 'wishlist' of improvements to lighting, point-lights and even in light-emissive materials. The goal was always clear: make the lighting as realistic as possible.
- 推动并改进RV引擎的光照系统是我在BI这些年至始至终都在从事的事情,我要感谢HDR系统的一些关键性改进,我们得以完成了我们计划中对于光照系统的大多数改进,比如点光源以及发光材质。我们的目标非常明确:努力让光照尽可能的看起来真实。

The HDR improvements chiefly address the improvement of shading in the game environment. High Dynamic Range basically means the brightness of the picture adjusts to the light conditions in the scene, so player can see the surrounding environment in the best quality - neither too dark nor too bright.
- 在HDR方面的改进主要是沿着改进游戏环境的阴影效果所开展的,HDR的简单意思说起来就是调整游戏场景的光照条件来调整画面的亮度,这样玩家就能够看到最佳效果的周围环境 - 不会太暗也不会太亮。

Night-time in A3 already feels a lot more engaging, but it's made up by various subtle advancements working together. What, for you, is the one stand-out improvement-in-progress?
- ARMA3的夜晚已经让人感到非常迷人了,但是这都是由一些细小的改进共同作用的结果。那么对于您来说,在目前的改进中最突出的一个是什么?

Gugla: I have to go with the glorious HDR improvement. Without this, none of the implemented enhancements to lighting and light-emissive materials would even be possible!
- 我会继续进行HDR的改进,如果离开了这个,没有任何光照和发光材质的改进能够实现。

The new volumetric cloud technology, which we've already seen rolled out with Take On Helicopters, has a big impact upon the feel of any scene. What further enhancements have been made with A3?
- 我们已经在《驾驭直升机》(TOH)中看到了体积云技术的引入,这对任何场景都有着重大影响,那么在ARMA3中这将会有什么进一步的改进?

Gugla: Clouds are part of the lighting setup. It is possible to continually change their brightness and colour both during the night and day to reflect different lighting conditions. For A3, cloud settings have been adjusted to best match the location (partly a product of the research done in the field) and a performance optimisation. When you're in an early-morning mission, I dare you to take a breath and just enjoy the sunrise.
- 云层是光照调整的一部分,它能够在白天和黑夜里不断的改变自身的颜色和亮度,从而能够反映出不同的光照条件。在ARMA3中,云层设置已经被调整到了最佳状态(这也是在实地环境下完成的产品设计的一部分)以及性能上的优化。当你进行一个发生在清晨的任务时,我保证你将会深吸一口清晨清新的空气并且喜欢那柔和的阳光。

Attack at First Light
拂晓出击

Ok, so it's all looking great, but what about gameplay? Aesthetics aside, how does your work impact upon gamers?
- 很好,看上去不错,但是有关游戏体验呢?暂时把美学放在一旁,您是如何满足玩家意见的?

Gugla: We are focused to open up the whole day cycle to the players. Lighting is a huge part of the visual experience. From this perspective, I think players will surely enjoy missions with night lights, without whole screen going dark when attacking enemies in the west! And the point-lights and light-emission materials are a huge help with navigation during the night.
- 我们全天候的向玩家开放交流。光照在虚拟体验中占有非常庞大的一部分,从这一点来说,我想玩家将会非常喜欢夜间照明的任务,这样你就可以避免早晨从西方进攻敌人的时候整个屏幕都会变暗了(被阳光亮瞎了……)!点光源和发光材质将会对夜间行动带来非常大的帮助。

One relatively common complaint was with night-vision, and the way our old HDR implementation left some room for improvement. What changes have been made in this area?
- 一个最大的共同抱怨的问题就是夜视仪,先前老的HDR实现有着很多改进空间,在这方面都会有哪些改变?

Gugla: We have tweaked the colours displayed in night-vision optics. Those, together with improved lighting and more accurate HDR, result in a more realistic feel, especially when entering a village under the cover of darkness.
- 我们对夜视光学器材的颜色显示进行了优化,结合改进后的光照系统和更加精确的HDR效果,将会带来更加真实的体验,特别是当你在夜色的掩蔽下进入村庄的时候。

How far does lighting go? Does, say, every vehicle benefit from the improvements we've seen so far?
- 光照系统能够有多大作用?比如说每一个载具都会从我们先前看到的那些东西中受益么?

Gugla: The number of used lights and lighting effects is enormous. We've created a large number of new assets for Arma 3, each one with its own lights. Our goal was to make all of them useful, to make them look as realistic as possible, and yet not tap too much performance. Players will encounter those lights mostly on vehicles, boats, helicopters and street lights.
- 现在对于光照和发光效果的使用数量是非常庞大的,我们在ARMA3中创造了大量新的单位,它们都拥有自己的光照效果。我们的目标是努力使得它们都能够有效,使它们尽可能的真实,当然不能消耗太多的性能。玩家将会主要在载具、船只、直升机和街上接触到那些光照。

Under the Hood
幕后

Given the - potentially enormous - number of entities and view-distances possible in the RV engine, what steps have been taken to ensure that advancements to lighting do not eat up too much performance?
- RV引擎提供了潜在的数量庞大的实体和可视距离的可能性,是什么能够确保这些改进后的光照不会吃掉更多的性能?

Gugla: Each scene contains a limit for lights displayed simultaneously to keep performance stable. To increase performance, we also use a technology to transfer distant lights - those with no effect on the scene - into the satellite map. Of course, we transfer them back when their effect starts playing a role again. Also, thanks to the changes in point-lights, the distance to display lights with an effect on the environment has become easier to control.
- 每一个场景只会同时显示一小部分的光照效果从而保持性能稳定。为了增加性能,我们同样使用了用于切换远距光照的技术 - 比如在卫星地图的场景下那些光照就都无效了。当然,我们将会在场合需要的时候将它们切换回来。同样,我们要感谢点光源的改变,这样在环境中对光照效果的显示距离的控制就变得更加容易。

Talking about 'performance', then, shadows are relatively 'expensive'. How do you balance creating a rich night scene - populated with numerous dynamic light sources - against the need to provide 'moar framez'?
- 谈到性能,那么,阴影效果相对来说更加的“昂贵”。你们是如何在建立拥有庞大动态光源的更加复杂的夜间场景与对抗玩家需要“更多帧数”的要求之间保持平衡的?

Gugla: As for now, none of the new point-lights cast shadows. This privilege is held only by the Sun and Moon. In some situations, lights are replaced by light-emissive materials. This helps reduce the performance stress, yet it does so without changing the feel of the scene. After a lot of work, I am finally satisfied with the balance between performance and the feel of the night scenes.
- 目前来说,没有任何点光源效果会产生阴影,阴影效果只会由太阳和月亮所产生。在一些情境中,光照将会被发光材质所代替,这将会有助于减少性能负担,但不会对情景的感受带来改变。在完成了很多工作之后,我最终对性能与夜间场景的感受两者之间的平衡感到满意。

And what about multiplayer? If lighting has become more significant, what steps are being taken to help balance this or give server admins the tools to level the playing field?
- 那么对于多人游戏来说呢?如果光照变得更加重要,如何来平衡这些?或者是否会给予服务器管理员相应的工具来控制游戏环境?

Gugla: You got me on this one! Of course, the heaviest lever still remains within the hands of the players. The way they adjust their performance settings will determine the frame rate. I am now working on fine-tuning the multiplayer situation, where, for example, one side might be considerably affected by attacking/defending against the Sun. My goal is to keep the effective advantage, while providing enjoyable experience for both sides.
- 这一点你倒是考到我了!当然,最重要的杠杆始终是掌握在玩家手中,他们对于游戏性能的调整将会直接影响到显示帧数。我目前正在对多人游戏情景进行微调,举例来说,游戏的其中一方可能会在进攻或防守时受到阳光的极大影响,而我的目标是在确保改进效果的同时尽可能的为游戏双方都提供最佳的体验。

The unexpected eruption of a super-volcano plunges the world into an eternal ash-cloud of darkness. All uses of electricity deemed 'non-essential to the amelioration of the motherland' are outlawed. Those who break the law are sent to enormous facilities, which generate power from human labour. So, which one game would you risk playing, despite the threat of enslavement?

Gugla: GTA4, or simple Chess.

Bonus Time!
福利时间!

Below, we’ve got a special bonus video! It’s a look a some of the lighting at work, and a sneak peek at some of the forthcoming E3 content:
- 下面,我们得到了一个特殊的福利视频!其中可以让我们看到有关于光照系统工作的一些内容,并且先睹为快一些在即将到来的E3游戏展上才会公开的内容:

点评

感谢翻译  发表于 2012-5-25 10:55
发表于 2012-5-25 08:25:00 | 显示全部楼层
视频在哪里??
发表于 2012-5-25 09:25:32 | 显示全部楼层
291701 发表于 2012-5-25 08:25
视频在哪里??

点评

谢谢。  发表于 2012-5-25 09:56
发表于 2012-5-25 10:25:27 | 显示全部楼层
新视频43秒处,可见举枪慢跑的动作,移动速度合理。太棒了!